Wednesday, February 4, 2009

He's A Beach Punk

WAVVES debut album is out March 17th and I am very excited for its release. I have heard, and enjoyed, five songs off of the new album entitled WAVVVES (Notice the extra "V" in there. Sneaky.) and it is the first album I've pre-ordered in about three years so there must be something incredible about it. There better be! I mean I just dropped $30.45 on the CD and "the first collectable fully-peelable sticker book" (Don't laugh, it's awesome.) and ordered them both from Amazon. I didn't have to spend that much money, but I want that book badly. In other words, I spent more money on obtaining this album than I had to so it better be good. 

Now, some background information on the one-man band called WAVVES.
 
Name: Nathan Williams

Age: 22

Hometown: San Diego

Genre: Lo-fi
New Wave
Garage Rock
Indie Rock
Punk

Websites: Myspace Page

Sounds Like: A San Diego beach at 8 o'clock at night during the month of July. The beach is littered with teenagers who have just begun preparing for the summer night festivities. A barbeque is being heated up and people are dancing to the music blaring from a portable radio resting on a rock near the dunes. An hour later, the music's volume has increased and stars have begun popping up in the indigo sky. The young crowd are enjoying themselves throughly. They are chomping on cheeseburgers, chasing each other through the foamy waves and will not stop dancing. Two teenagers who have been lusting for each other since they arrived are finally hooking up, one pushed up against the back of the shower shack. Three have begun snapping photos of the wild antics happening along the shore. Twelve are raising a net and starting a volleyball game, with friends cheering from the sidelines. This flurry of activity continues until early morning and all who were there agree that it was a fun night, to say the least.

I got a little carried away, but picture that scenario with the WAVVES track, "Beach Demon" blasting. You'll understand my train of thought.


This post cannot only consist of positive statements about Nathan Williams's creation though. I am concerned that WAVVVES, after I listen to it enough, won't hold my attention for long. He can create catchy pop hooks and addictive riffs with messy layers of distorted fuzz and sound, but he needs to polish up his music in some areas. Think about Beck for a second. When Beck debuted with 1994's Mellow Gold, he had a fantastic album that was energetic, fun and different. I absolutely adore Beck but when I listen to his debut, I can't shake the feeling that he was still experimenting and had not perfected his music. Think of how much Beck has progressed. What if every Beck album released after Mellow Gold sounded exactly like it, an experimentation with none of the kinks ironed out? WAVVES does not sound like Beck (He is more akin to No Age) but you understand what I am trying to say. I'm just hoping that WAVVES can evolve and keep me entertained. I want an album that I won't only listen to during the summer.

Nonetheless, I hope you do enjoy WAVVES sunny temperament as much as I do and check out WAVVVES on March 17th.

No comments:

Post a Comment