Saturday, June 13, 2009

I've Got A Lot To Say Part III

Summer is here, and while the sound of the surf is relaxing, I suggest you listen to the bands making their debut this summer while you lie on the beach instead. The Drums, a surf-pop duo from Florida, will be releasing their appropriately titled debut EP Summertime! on August 4th. Harnessing a sound that seems to be inspired by 50's surf culture and The Smiths, The Drums made me fall in love with them instantly, and hopefully you will love them too. Pre-order Summertime! from Insound now so it arrives in time for those nights of bonfires on the beach. Want to learn more about The Drums? Read Brooklyn Vegan's appraisal of the best friends' live debut here and and check out their website.



Another band making their debut this summer is Blind Man's Color. Said to be the next Animal Collective (They hate being called the next Animal Collective), their music consists of rejuvenating psychedelic beats that spark and vivify. Kyle Wyss and Orhan Chettri started the band back in 2005 and it wasn't until they remixed some Animal Collective tracks that they got the recognition they deserved. Kind of like how Phoenix didn't become extremely popular until their fourth album, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix was released. Lack of recognition aside, Blind Man's Color's debut album entitled Season Dreaming will drop on August 18th. While you wait, you can explore the band's Blogspot which has mixtapes and old mp3s available to download.

Don't have anything fun to do during the summer? Are you stuck at home? Are you so broke that you can't buy tickets to see a show or even a CD? Do you have an unsightly rash that prevents you from going outdoors in a bathing suit? If any of these difficult situations are true then I have found something that will solve your problem. On July 22nd, The Indie Rock Coloring Book, a collaboration between artist Andy J. Miller and the T-shirt company Yellow Bird Project, will be released. Stemming from a passion for art, music, and philanthropy, this book is filled with mazes, coloring pages, and connect-the-dot games based on artists such as Devendra Banhart, MGMT, The Shins, The National, Broken Social Scene, and Bon Iver. There are more than 20 artists featured in this book, and the profits made by The Indie Rock Coloring Book will be split between charities chosen by these bands. I imagine this will be a great way to pass the time this summer, and to get children interested in indie rock before Hannah Montana gets them first. Whether you are concerned about the musical fate of the next generation or how you will quell your boredom this summer, remember that no one is too old to color.


Speaking of books, it looks like Kanye West is writing one, despite the fact that he does not read or respect them. Entitled Thank You And You're Welcome, this book consists of 52 pages of "Kanye-isms" that offer his philosophy on life. If I hadn't been laughing so hard that I was crying when I discovered that the self-centered "creative genius" was going to be writing a book, I would have been appalled. Since I find this hilarious though, I'll just share a few of my favorite quotes from Kanye's interview with Reuters. I have no words to describe this.

- "West said he put his thoughts in a book because "I get paraphrased and misquoted all the time."

- "Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed," West said. "I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book's autograph."

- "West, a college dropout, said being a non-reader was helpful when he wrote his book because it gave him "a childlike purity."

Personally, I don't think Kanye needs to write a book. 
He already "just be so wordy and so self-absorbed."

1 comment:

  1. I was listen music online with my headphone when I saw beautiful houses in a webside, so I understood costa rica investment opportunities is a great opportunity for me because I always wanted to live in Costa Rica a beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete